I used to have plenty of time to spend hours reading my Bible, praying, and listening to worship music. But, I don’t anymore. My schedule is so packed and I barely have time to myself. Currently, I commit thirty minutes to spend time with God each morning. Still, sometimes it feels pretty rushed. It’s almost as if I have to get up and go as soon as I sit down.
Lately, I’ve been realizing that my thirty minute quiet time sessions is not enough time to spend with God. Believe it or not, thirty minutes is less than two percent of our day. Imagine only spending two percent of your day with your significant other? Would you be okay with that?
I wouldn’t. So then, what’s a girl to do? Should I drop all of my responsibilities, build a tiny house in the woods, and spend all my day praying? No, that’s not what I’m suggesting at all.
In fact, I have an alternative. I’ve found a way for us busy girls to actually spend more meaningful time with God throughout our day and maintain our responsibilities. Here is the busy girl’s guide to spending more time with God throughout the day.
How to Spend Time with God Throughout the Day
Make God a Priority
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.Matthew 6:33
God needs to be the #1 priority in your life before you can even begin to successfully spend more time with him throughout the day. Many Christians believe that adding God to their lives when they accept Jesus is enough. But Jesus doesn’t want a spot on the long list of things that fight for your attention. He wants to be the One that you pursue above everyone and everything else. If God isn’t a priority in your life, the rest of the tips and resources I’ll share won’t be helpful.
Use Your Time Wisely
Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.Ephesians 5:15-16
If you only have a short amount of time throughout your day, you’ll have to use your time wisely to get the most out of it. Consider where you may have extra time throughout the day and use it wisely. You probably won’t have a full hour or two lying around but maybe you have a few 5 or 10 minute moments of downtime in the day. Use that time to say a quick prayer, read a short passage in your Bible, meditate, or listen to a worship song. Instead of using your extra time to scroll on social media or check your email, spend it with God. Don’t worry, I’m guilty of it too but let’s use the extra minutes in our day to actively pursue the Lord instead of focusing on fleeting things.
Look Out for Micro Opportunities Throughout the Day
This goes along with using your time wisely. Look out for “micro” opportunities to spend with God throughout the day. God may be calling your attention to him as you’re walking back to work after a lunch break or in between classes at school. While you probably can’t fall to your knees instantly and begin a traditional prayer, you can spontaneously talk with God anywhere you are. You may not always have huge, glaring opportunities to spend with God but there are many “micro” ones you can take advantage of if you open your eyes to notice them.
Listen to the Word with an Audio Bible
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.Romans 10:15
Next, listen to God’s Word by using an Audio Bible. We literally have God’s Word at our fingertips with the many apps, podcasts, and other resources around the internet. You may not have time to read as much as you want to but you can listen to the Bible anywhere and at any time. Listen during your commute or while working at your desk. Listen while eating lunch or even as you get ready in the morning.
Be Intentional About Your Time with God
Intentionality is the key for everything. We can try a ton of new techniques or buy every available resource on the market, but if we’re not intentional, nothing will truly work. I can spend hours in prayer without truly connecting with God if I’m not intentional. Don’t do it to check a task off your to-do list, don’t do it for a picture perfect Instagram post, and don’t do it to impress your friends and family. Spend time with God because you love him and want to know him more. If we’re not intentional about God, we’re just wasting our time.
Get Rid of Unnecessary Distractions
Finally, get rid of any unnecessary distractions. I don’t know about you but sometimes when I go to pray, I suddenly remember everything I’ve been needing to do. All of a sudden, I need to check my bank account or google a recipe I’ve been wanting to try forever. No matter how good or important something is, it’s a distraction if it always comes up when you want to spend time with God. If you’re easily distracted, try putting away or turning off anything that could get in the way.
Once again, you don’t always need to sit in solitude for hours to connect with God. Sometimes God just needs five minutes of your undivided attention. If we’re being honest, many of us fail to give him even that.
Now, I’m not saying to abandon things you enjoy. I’m an advocate for having a healthy balance in our lives. I am saying that if our lives are cluttered with all the things, we won’t have time for God. Rid yourself of some of it, so that you have more time to spend with God.
Some Creative Ways to Spend Time with God
Now that we’ve spoken about some of the basics for spending time with God throughout the day, I wanted to share some creative ways to spend with him if you’re looking to shake up your routine a bit.
“Have praise and worship in the shower.”Daybel Ortiz (@Laly_luna10)
- Have a Praise & Worship Session in the Shower – You can praise God anywhere, even in the shower! It’s amazing that God’s presence is not limited to church or your morning quiet time. Grab your best shower speakers, your iPhone, and play some praise and worship music in the shower. Or try it A Capella!
- Spend a Few Minutes in Nature – Nature is such a beautiful way to see God’s hand and heart clearly. Even a walk through a quiet park can be a perfect way to connect with God.
- Talk to God While You’re Getting Dressed – Talking with God as you get dressed is a great way to spend time with God if you’re super busy. Maybe you can’t sit and have traditional quiet time but you can pray while getting ready.
- Pray for Strangers on the Street – Try saying a prayer for strangers on the street, at work, or at school. You never know how God might be wanting to use you to impact someone else’s life.
- Draw or Letter a Verse in the Bible – If you’re into art (or even if you’re not), try drawing out the scene of a passage in scripture or lettering your favorite verse. It might seem unconventional but this is a great way to spend time with God.
How Other Women Spend Time with God throughout their Day
Next, I wanted to share how some fellow women spend time with God despite having a busy schedule. It’s always good to hear from others and get inspired by how they tackle some of the challenges we may be facing in our own lives.
Designate a place in your house. It could be a room, a chair, a porch, or a corner. – @Asymphonyofpraise
Worship music at lunch time for me & my two year old! – @livingwithlesspodcast
I do a lot of praying and worshipping in my car since I drive so much during the day – @honeyteller
Have praise and worship in the shower. Talk to him while you’re getting dressed – @laly_luna10
Going out & enjoy nature while talking to Him, it’s a beautiful reminder of how great God is. – @our_hope_is_christ
Listen to worship music or Christian rap while working out. – @modistirochelle
Take 5 minute prayer walks during your lunch break. Make it seem like you’re taking a call! – @amirandanatalia
Prayer journal and worship music! – @collegechristianjournal
Helpful Resources for Spending More Time with God
- Bible Plans – Bible plans are amazing because you can take them with you on the go. They’re also pretty short most of the time so you can do a Bible plan even if you only have a few minutes available.
- My Recommendation: YouVersion Bible App
- Podcasts – I love podcasts because you can listen to them anywhere and at anytime. I listen to podcasts while working, when I’m on the train, and even on my lunch break. .
- Devotionals – Devotionals are amazing. They come in many different formats and you can get them online or buy a devotional book. They cover a wide range of topics that can inspire, encourage, and educate you about God and how he is working in you life. If you sign up for my email list, you have access to a weekly devotional that goes out every Monday!
- Sermons – You can also listen to great sermons on the go. Listen to your local church sermon if it’s available online or try two of my favorites listed below.
- Worship Music – Finally, worship music can get and keep you in the right mindset throughout the day. Listen to worship music on your commute, while eating your meals, or while working.
Just do it. Carve out the time and let nothing intervene.Erika Michelle (@asymphonyofpraise)
I’ll wrap up with this piece of advice from @asymphonyofpraise. Just do it. Dive in imperfectly with a desire to know God and spend time with him. God will perfect your steps if your heart is in the right place.
Hopefully, this article gave you some good ideas for spending time with God throughout your day with a busy schedule. It’s definitely doable! Things won’t be perfect, it’s a journey and you will get better at it as you go. But, make the first step. Prioritize God and get intentional about him. It can be challenging to find time throughout the day but if God is important to you, try to make the time.
Is there anything that works really well for you when spending time with God throughout your day?